Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Latest on Ethan....

Sean and Ashli visited with the neurologist tonight. He says that they have found several locations in the brain where there has been bleeding. They are as follows:
  1. Both the Left and Right ventricles (brain, not heart)
  2. Both the Left and Right occipital lobes
  3. Slight bleeding in the Right temporal lobe
I'll explain the concerns for each of these locations and the course of action the Dr. has laid out.
  1. The bleeding in the ventricles is likely the source of the blood found in the spinal fluid earlier and not introduced by the needle as we had hoped. The concern with the ventricles now is that they may begin to fill with fluid and put outward pressure on the brain. This is something that would take place slowly and they will be able to monitor by taking periodic measurements of Ethan's head and by doing periodic sonograms of the brain. If this becomes a problem a shunt will likely be added to drain the excess fluid.
  2. The bleeding in the occipital lobes could cause some impairment of vision. There was more bleeding in the Left lobe which means that any impairment would be more likely in the Right eye. The doctor says that the amount of bleeding would likely only cause a slight impairment of vision. The only course of action at this juncture is to monitor Ethan to see if he begins to favor his Left eye (indicating more vision there).
  3. The bleeding in the temporal lobe was slight and the Dr. believes that there will be no impairment as a result. If there were to be problems the location of the bleed would indicate a problem with motor skills on the left side and a potential for Cerebral Palsy. At this point the only course of action is to monitor for motor dysfunction.
Ethan's platelet count has been dropping, rather than rising as most newborns' do. This may be the possible cause of the bleeding (his lowest measured count was 51 and counts below 50 are often associated with spontaneous bleeding) or it could simply be the result of his platelets being used up controlling the bleeding faster than his body can produce them. He has had two infusions of platelets since he was born last Wednesday.

One other concern is Ethan's temperature rising. It had risen to 100.4 earlier. Ethan likes to be swaddled for comfort but they don't want him covered in order to dissipate heat. Right now they've opted to swaddle his arms but leave his torso exposed. They've also given him a suppository to reduce the temperature.

On the bright side, pretty much everything we'd been praying about before has been, for the most part, resolved: Ethan's blood sugar is now around 74; He's out of danger with regard to pulmonary hypertension; He continues to respond to the antibiotics treating the infection in the bloodstream; and the edema has gone away completely.

Now, if God has already done so much for this little guy, why should our faith falter with a new set of difficulties (which are not difficult at all to God)? Sean told me tonight that he has a peace about his son's condition. I too feel that Ethan is safely in the hands of our mighty God.

I know that Sean and Ashli appreciate your continued prayers. Sean says he will email me some more pictures later. When I get them I'll post some here.

********** Edit ************
I've changed the template for this page because the other one was turning my numbers and bullet points into floral bullets. Not bad in itself, but I thought it would be more easy to follow if you could match problem 1 with explanation 1..... I'm silly that way.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank everyone for there continued support to our little family, your prayers and love is verry apparent and most welcome.
I would like to calm any worries by making it known that I have prayed for my son before he was born, that he would be used of God for a light in this dark world, to share the love of Christ to a lost and hurting world. and so he begins life by drawing his father closer to God in prayer and in Gods word building my fath and relationship with God to depths that I have not ben in some time, he has also landed us in a mission fild of hurting people to whom we can share the love of God with finaly we will also be able to share what great things God can do by showing that healing is not somthing to read about in the bible but to lived out every day.
I have to admit this is not the direction I thought God would go in useing my son for his glory, but Jesus did not come as the masiah his people thought he would come. so I will continue to trust God for my salvation through his son and the healing and saving of souls by His work through my son that He has blessed Ashli and I with.

thanks again, and if you are looking for the peace that I have in Christ all you need to do is ask.

Anonymous said...

God bless that little guy. He's such a fighter already. We are praying for him multiple times every day as I know many others are. I don't think there's another baby in the world being covered by more prayer than Ethan! I love what Seany wrote, that they are resting in God's peace and using all of this to glorify God!
~Aunt Angela :-)

Unknown said...

Amen Sean! What a testimony of our Fathers glory!

I'm continueing to pray for Ethan. I agree with Angie that I don't know of any baby that has so much prayer covering him.

-Nicole

Unknown said...

P.S. He is such a cutie fatty baby! oh my goodness! Congratulations Benjamin's!

Anonymous said...

My continued thoughts and prayers are with you. I know Ethan will pull through with flying colors. Your strong faith will shine and all the love around him will continue to make him the fighter he is. I wish I were there but know my heart is with you.
Love Cousin Kim

Anonymous said...

Sean you are such a godly inspiration!! We continue to stand with you inprayer and onthe word of God. "He who began a good work in Ethan will be faithful to complete it. No weapon formed against Etha shall prosper,nothing is to difficult for God. All things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His Purpose. For I know the Plans I have for Ethan Plans for good and not evil plans to prosper not harm him to bring him to an expected end!For I reckon the present suffering we are going thru is not worthy to compare to the glory that will be revealled in us!!"We love you
Ethan's Great Aunt Becky and cousin Joshuwa

Anonymous said...

Sean,
My husband and I have been praying for your little one. You are an inspiration to show such courage and faith in such a time of need. I know God will care for your little boy. He's beautiful.

~Christine (Farthing) Moritz

Anonymous said...

Sean and Ashli, Grandpa and I are praying so hard for our little Great-grandson and we have lots of people here praying for him. He is loved by all and our prayers are also with you and Ashli. He is an adorable baby and really is a fighter.